Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Engineering Summer Programs

I can't believe that it is already April, the last full month of the semester. I felt like I was getting busier in general, but I didn't realize that it was because the end of the semester was so close. So, that means that summer is nearing, and it's time to think about what to do over the summer.

This summer, I am moving out west to Idaho to do an engineering internship in industry. A lot of companies with local opportunities come to MSU, but I wanted to live somewhere new and try new things. I heard about this position through MySpartanCareer (MSU's online resource for students and alumni to search for jobs), attended a company info session on campus, and interviewed at Spartan Stadium. No, I was not interviewed on the football field. The stadium actually has a branch of career services and a lot of interviews happen there. So, MSU and its career services were instrumental in my internship search.

Last summer I went on the International Corporate Tour of Europe, the summer before that I studied abroad, and the summer before I came to MSU I participated in a MSU Engineering Summer Program. I participated in BEACON, which is no longer offered, but if you would like to read more details about what I did there, you can read my blog post about it here. You can also read about how I spent my summers abroad by reading some of my other past blog posts for the International Corporate Tour and study abroad.

There are engineering summer programs for students of all ages, and they are a great way to have fun while learning about engineering. Many of the programs are for high school students and are residential, which means that student get to live in a dorm on campus and stay overnight. For more program details and information on eligibility and application visit our website.

One of the new residential programs for rising high schools juniors and seniors is the Introduction to Radar for Student Engineers. This programs was developed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Lincoln Laboratory, and instructors from both MIT and MSU will teach students about radars and signal processing. Another residential program is (HSEI), High School Engineering Institute, where students learn about the different types of engineering through hands-on experience while also learning more about MSU. For high school students interested in robotics, there is the Introduction to Robotics Engineering - Residential program. Participants learn about biomimetic robotic fish, manufacturing automation, and nanorobotics.

MSU Engineering Robotics program
Introduction to Robotics Engineering - Residential (http://www.egr.msu.edu/future-engineer/programs/introduction-robotics-engineering-msu-residential)


Check out Flickr to look a more photos from past summer programs!

HSEI Session 1 2014:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/futurespartanengineers/sets/72157648157562739/

HSEI Session 2 2014:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/futurespartanengineers/sets/72157648514144466/

HSEI Session 3 2014:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/futurespartanengineers/sets/72157648580487905/

Introduction to Robotics Engineering 2014:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/futurespartanengineers/sets/72157648562101852/

Once again, here's the link to where you can explore and sign up for summer programs:
http://www.egr.msu.edu/future-engineer/programs

No comments:

Post a Comment