Monday, October 1, 2012

Study Abroad Fair

This past Thursday from 12-6, the Breslin Center housed the annual study abroad fair. I have always been interested in studying abroad, so I decided to check it out. I remember hearing that MSU has the #1 study abroad program in the country when I visited campus, but I really had no idea what to expect. The Breslin Center was full of tables representing different countries or different programs through different MSU colleges. Just to give you an idea of the scale of the fair and MSU's study abroad program in general, the 2012-13 Study Abroad brochure states that there are over 275 programs in more than 60 countries. Also, approximately 1 in 4 students study abroad during their time at MSU. Sadly, I forgot to bring my camera with me, so I have no pictures.

First, I checked out the programs offered through the College of Engineering. There were a lot of cool programs offered for a semester or year in countries such as Germany, Australia, and Spain that offer classes that are required for an engineering major, allowing you to stay on track for graduation. Since I would rather be abroad for only 4-8 weeks, I looked at the summer programs offered through both the College of Engineering and other colleges. A lot of the other programs offered classes that would fulfill my ISS or IAH requirements, which are classes in the arts and humanities or social studies that all MSU students are required to take. I think it would be cool to earn some humanities credits by visiting museums across Europe or going to the opera!

I picked up so many fliers from all of the different booths that I do not even know what to do with them! I think it is so cool that someone can choose to take part in a program that relates to their major or future career or something completely different! Definitely I will attend some of the informational meetings and apply to some of the programs. Now I better go do some homework...


No comments:

Post a Comment